The Brandenburg Gate is characterized by six 15 meters high Doric columns on each sides wich are grooved by ionic style.
At the bottom the columns have a diameter of 1.75 meters. The columns have got a constructional difference to the other classical paragons:
At the inner surface they are massively intensified with stonework. The attic and the inner surfaces of the passages are covered with reliefs
wich are showing among other things the deeds of Herkules.
Both Gatehouses have got large sculptures of Mars, the roman god of war, and the goddess Minerva with a lance.
The sculpture of Minerva was created by Johann Daniel Meltzer but in Second World War it was destroyed and between 1951 and 1952
it was displaced by a copy by the sculptor collective Kranolda. The sculpture of Mars was created by Carl Friedrich Wichmann.
Both of the statues are coming from Johann Gottfried Schadow in 1792.
Originally the Gate had Gatehouses at both sides wich were built for the military guards and the tax collector.
In 1868, with the end of the tariff and the excise wall, the Gatehouses were replaced by open columned halls wich were created by
the Schinkel student Heinrich Strack. By designing those he focussed on the design of the gate.
The top of the Brandenburg Gate crowns a quadriga. It is a copper casted sculpture with a height of 5 meters. It was also built by Schadow.
The figure represents the winged goddess of victory Victoria looking towards the City Palace in the east.
It gives the impression of Victoria pulling her cart drawn by four horses into the city.